Home-made Caramel Sauce


Enjoy this sauce responsibly! It is addictive (and quite bad for your arteries too!). I like to smother it over ice-cream with banana slices and chopped pecans. I've used this sauce on cheesecake, apple pie and even used it in buttercream (for yummy caramel cupcakes) and smothered over donuts (just because!) 

I adapted this recipe from Ina Garten. This was the most consistent recipe for me (it works like a dream every time I've made it) I added salt as I think it balances the sweetness of the caramel. Can you see the little flecks of vanilla beans? Yum!




Recipe (makes about 500ml sauce):

Ingredients:
60ml (1/4 cup) Water
300g (1 1/2 cups) Sugar
280ml (1 1/4 cups) Double cream
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Method:

  1. Make sure you have all your ingredients to hand and measured before you start as you will be at the stove watching the pan!
  2. In a saucepan combine water and sugar and heat over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Do not stir just swirl the pan occasionally.
  3. When the mixture starts to boil, turn the heat up to medium and wait until the colour begins to turn chestnut brown. Be careful to keep an eye on it as it burns very easily.
  4. Remove from heat and add the cream, vanilla and salt and stir. The mixture will bubble and may solidify a little. Just heat it over a low heat stirring until smooth.
  5. Pour into a sterile jar through a sieve.

This sauce thickens as it cools and will keep for several weeks in a cool dry place (mine never lasts that long!). If it thickens too much just heat it for 10 seconds in the microwave. Enjoy!

Bee
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. If you have left me a question I will get back to you soon.

Bee
xxx

Subscribe to receive new posts via email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 'A Rose Tinted Kitchen' 2013 All Rights Reserved. It takes a lot of time developing, testing and photographing my recipes but seeing them pop up on other blogs makes it all worth it. Just remember to please provide a link back to my recipe. Thanks and happy baking!

Bee
xxx