Super Delicious Secret Ingredient Brownies



Have you got an ingredient lurking in the back of your cupboard or fridge? You know, the neglected, rarely used items? I can't be the only one, surely! I have so many things I've bought on impulse and only used once or twice. Like the jar of tahini paste in my fridge, (I made humous with two tablespoonfuls) It has sat there ever since. Or the bag of chickpea flour (sometimes known as gram or garbanzo flour). I've made onion bhajis a couple of times but honestly it has sat in my cupboard for nearly six months! It got me thinking "can I bake with it?". The short answer is yes! 

This recipe was inspired by Lucillian Delights. These brownies were the most delicious out of all the recipes I tried. They were moist, cakey, fudgy and chewy in all the right places. They are even crispy on top! You really wouldn't know that they were made with chickpea flour!



I made cupcakes but you can make these in a 9" x 9" square baking tin as normal. You can also omit the nuts if you prefer. Add chunks of your favourite chocolate bar to your brownie batter. Add chocolate frosting to the top when cool or perhaps drizzle caramel sauce over the top! Yum!

Recipe: (makes 24 cupcakes)

150g Butter
100g Dark chocolate
1 teaspoon Instant coffee granules
3 Large eggs
200g Brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons Cocoa powder
85g Chickpea flour (also known as gram or garbanzo flour)
100g Chocolate chips/chunks
50g Chopped hazelnuts (optional)

Method:

  1. Place cupcake cases (I've used muffin sized cases) in a cupcake tin and pre-heat your oven to 170C/Gas mark 3. Or grease and flour a 9" by 9" square baking tin.
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat and add the dark chocolate and coffee granules. Stir until the chocolate is melted and set aside to cool.
  3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
  4. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt in another bowl.
  5. Add the egg mix to the chocolate/butter mix until combined.
  6. Add the flour mix and chocolate chunks/nuts and stir until smooth.
  7. Pour into cupcake cases 2/3rds full (or the square baking tin) and bake cupcakes for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (if using a square baking tin cook for about 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean).
Print Recipe

Have you found any other uses for chickpea flour? What do you have lurking in the back of your cupboard? I'd love to hear from you!

Bee
xxx



2 comments:

  1. O my God! It looks really moist and of course so chocolately :D Beautiful brownies muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very tasty Malgorzata, I hope you try them. x

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. If you have left me a question I will get back to you soon.

Bee
xxx

Subscribe to receive new posts via email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 'A Rose Tinted Kitchen' 2013 All Rights Reserved. It takes a lot of time developing, testing and photographing my recipes but seeing them pop up on other blogs makes it all worth it. Just remember to please provide a link back to my recipe. Thanks and happy baking!

Bee
xxx