Homemade Strawberry Sauce


I created this recipe after finding a punnet of strawberries at the back of my fridge, yet again. They were left there, abandoned for about 5 days. I'm the only one in my family that eats strawberries you see. Yes, really! My better half doesn't like them (I've only just found out recently!) and my oldest kid has tried them and declared war and the youngest won't attempt them at all. Now since I've never actively tried to poison my children I do wonder where the paranoia comes from! Still though they both love to eat strawberry yoghurts and milkshakes! To be fair they are good at eating their vegetables so I guess I can't complain. 

I don't know about you but I love strawberries. So red and juicy and sweet! I could eat them as they are with no trouble whatsoever.


This sauce is really easy to make and keeps in the fridge for a few days and can even be frozen. It is so versatile, you can use it over ice-cream and fruit (sundaes) or pour over meringue, topped with fruit and cream for a tasty dessert. Make your own strawberry ice-cream. Create slushies by blending with ice cubes. Add to smoothies or milkshakes for a delicious, refreshing drink. The list is endless! I even use this sauce to make yummy, from scratch, fresh strawberry cupcakes!

This recipe can be adapted to most soft fruits and berries so get creative with whatever you have to hand. You don't need to be too exact with this recipe either. The balsamic vinegar really adds dimension to this sauce and brings out the strawberry flavour (it also deepens the colour) but don't worry if you don't have any as the sauce will still turn out great.

















This recipe makes roughly about 1 1/2 cups/375 mls of sauce.

Recipe:
1 Punnet of strawberries (about 400g)
3 tsp Sugar
2-4 tbsp Water
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar

Method:

  1. Remove stems from strawberries and cut each one into quarters.
  2. Place in a saucepan with the sugar and water and bring to a boil.
  3. Heat over a medium to low heat for about 10 minutes until the strawberries are very soft.
  4. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir, remove from heat.
  5. Cool slightly then place in a blender (or use a hand-blender if you have one) until smooth.
  6. Use a sieve to remove pips (optional) and place in a clean air-tight container.
  7. Use immediately or store in the fridge until required (3 days maximum) or freeze for up to 6 months. 






















Do you ever have any leftover strawberries (or fussy little ones!)?

Bee
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. If you have left me a question I will get back to you soon.

Bee
xxx

Subscribe to receive new posts via email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 'A Rose Tinted Kitchen' 2013 All Rights Reserved. It takes a lot of time developing, testing and photographing my recipes but seeing them pop up on other blogs makes it all worth it. Just remember to please provide a link back to my recipe. Thanks and happy baking!

Bee
xxx