Crunchy Salted Caramel Popcorn



I never used to like popcorn, well the kind you buy at the supermarket anyway until one magical day. My mum bought some corn kernels, for the first time, and it is a memory I'll never forget. We all sat around the kitchen table while she poured a little oil in the pan, added some corn and put the lid on. We waited and waited until after a few minutes we heard 'pop'! It was quickly followed by many other pops and we were amazed at just how much popcorn a handful of kernels made.



I haven't made popcorn in a long time and I thought since we (my boyfriend and I) are due a film night soon why not make a batch of popcorn? Now I usually buy it from the supermarket but sometimes it's just nice to make my own (especially since it tastes so much better than store bought). But my boyfriend likes his with salt on and I'm a sweet sticky caramel kind of girl, all the way. So what to do? Simple! Make a salted caramel topping!



I found a recipe from kitchn.com and adapted it to my own tastes. I halved the time in the oven too as I thought it was done after half an hour.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon Oil
80g corn kernels
170g Butter
200g Brown sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
Two (large!) handful of salted peanuts/cashews (optional)

Method:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 120C / Gas mark 1/2
  2. Arrange 2 baking sheets with baking paper on top and set aside.
  3. In a large lidded pan add the oil and one or two kernels. Over a medium heat await your first pop! This tells you when the oil is at the right temperature. When you hear it, put the rest of your kernels in the pan and replace the lid. Shake the pan occasionally to keep the popcorn from burning on the bottom.
  4. When popping subsides remove from the heat and transfer popcorn to a large heat proof bowl. (try to remove the unpopped kernels) Add nuts and stir.
  5. In another pan heat the butter until melted and add the sugar. Coat all of the sugar and bring to the boil, stirring. When it reaches 260F / 128C remove from the heat and add vanilla, salt and bicarbonate of soda until mixed. It will bubble up.
  6. Pour the mixture immediately on to the popcorn and stir to mix and cover all of the popcorn in the caramel.
  7. Place the caramel covered popcorn on to the prepared baking sheets and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
  8. After 30 minutes remove from the oven and separate the popcorn with a wooden/silicone spatula.
  9. Set aside and allow to cool.
These can be eaten when cool or stored in an airtight container for up to one week.




Hope you enjoyed this post.

Bee
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. If you have left me a question I will get back to you soon.

Bee
xxx

Subscribe to receive new posts via email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 'A Rose Tinted Kitchen' 2013 All Rights Reserved. It takes a lot of time developing, testing and photographing my recipes but seeing them pop up on other blogs makes it all worth it. Just remember to please provide a link back to my recipe. Thanks and happy baking!

Bee
xxx