Rock Star Cookies


These cookies were so much fun to make! I have to say that they are time consuming but well worth all the effort involved. I really have been wanting to do a 'rock n roll' theme for a while but between all the cake orders and Jake being off school I never thought I'd manage it! I'm so happy to have finally made something that 'rocks'!

Piping cookies with royal icing is a little tricky (a steady hand helps!). You have to outline the cookie first and then flood fill with the right consistency icing (Sweetopia explains it brilliantly here). See this quick video on how to flood fill a cookie. Just remember that practice really does make perfect! I actually like the little imperfections (they are handmade afterall!) This batch is a bit browner than I'd have liked (I left them in the oven a bit too long) but still completely edible!

I find that this is such a simple and consistent recipe that works every time, I haven't needed to look for another. It is adapted from Hanielas recipe. If I want to mix up the flavour a little I will add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon instead of the vanilla (for a festive flavour) or the zest of a lemon, it works a treat.

Ingredients:
425g Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
225g Butter (softened)
200g Caster sugar
1 Large egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

Method:
  1. Sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar in a separate bowl until pale and creamy.
  3. Add egg and flavouring and beat for a minute until combined.
  4. Add flour slowly until it forms a ball of dough.
  5. Remove dough from the bowl and knead for a minute or so then wrap in clingfilm and store in the fridge for at least an hour. It freezes well also at this stage if you need to make it ahead of time.
  6. When the dough is firm and you are about to use it, heat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4.
  7. Remove the dough from the fridge (use half the dough at a time to keep the other half chilled and firm in the fridge) and sprinkle flour on a large surface area (Use a non-stick mat if you have one) to roll it out.
  8. Roll out the cookie dough to a 1/3 of an inch thick.
  9. Cut out your shapes with a cookie cutter. Try not to re-roll the dough too many times. (this may affect the texture of your cookie)
  10. Place cookies on a flat baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. (this ensures the cookies keep their shape during baking)
  11. Place in your pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes. (until just turning golden on the edges)
  12. Allow to cool for a few minutes then remove from the baking tray onto a cooling rack until they have cooled completely.
  13. Decorate!

The above steps (1-4) can be done in a food processor if you have one.


 I really hope you enjoyed this post.

Bee
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. If you have left me a question I will get back to you soon.

Bee
xxx

Subscribe to receive new posts via email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 'A Rose Tinted Kitchen' 2013 All Rights Reserved. It takes a lot of time developing, testing and photographing my recipes but seeing them pop up on other blogs makes it all worth it. Just remember to please provide a link back to my recipe. Thanks and happy baking!

Bee
xxx