Red Velvet Fudge

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love red velvet cakes! I've been busy perfecting my recipe for red velvet cake (coming soon!) and have to confess I am addicted to the distinctive, smooth taste. I also adore dreamy, creamy fudge. Who doesn't? But combining these two great sweet treats couldn't be wrong could it?

I found the original fudge recipe from Carnation and added my own 'red velvet' ingredients.

I have to say that I prefer to cook fudge to the right temperature, that way I know it will set properly. I've tried quick cook recipes (where ingredients are melted and left to set) but the fudge is always too soft for my liking and has to be served straight from the fridge. I know some people think fudge making is hard but as long as you have everything ready and are prepared to stand over the stove and stir (it is well worth it!) you cannot go wrong!

This deep, rich delight was such an easy treat to make and would be an ideal homemade Christmas gift. If you can bear to part with it, that is! Red is such an iconic Christmas colour too and I couldn't resist making a Christmas post! Here in England most people have never seen or heard of red velvet, let alone red velvet fudge! I can think of a few relatives who would get such a suprise opening a little box of this colourful fudge.

Red velvet is an American favourite (originating in the southern states). The Cocoa powder used was Dutch processed and more alkaline. It imparted a red hue to homemade cakes and as such red velvet (and devils cake) was born. Nowadays we add food colouring. Other crucial ingredients are cocoa, vanilla and buttermilk. This gives the fudge a distinctive and smooth flavour. 

Whether you wrap it up in a pretty box and send it to someone special or keep it for yourself for a delicious biteful every now and then, this fudge will keep for a couple of weeks in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge.

Ingredients:
450g Demerera sugar
1 Tin of condensed milk (397g)
150 ml Buttermilk
115g Butter
1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon red gel food colouring (the gel produces a stronger colour)

Method:
  1. Line a 20cm / 8" square tin with baking paper.
  2. Mix cocoa, vanilla and food colouring. Add a little of the buttermilk to form a paste and set aside. 
  3. Place sugar, condensed milk, buttermilk and butter in a non-stick pan and bring to the boil stirring. Simmer for 10 minutes (stirring continuously) until it reaches the soft ball stage (drop a small amount in a jug of cold water and if it forms a ball then it is ready). If using a thermometer the temperature should be 118C.
  4. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa mix.
  5. Beat with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes until thick. If you use a metal spoon it can damage your non stick pan.
  6. Pour in your tin and leave to cool.

If you make this I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Bee
xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. If you have left me a question I will get back to you soon.

Bee
xxx

Subscribe to receive new posts via email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Copyright © 'A Rose Tinted Kitchen' 2013 All Rights Reserved. It takes a lot of time developing, testing and photographing my recipes but seeing them pop up on other blogs makes it all worth it. Just remember to please provide a link back to my recipe. Thanks and happy baking!

Bee
xxx